Puget Sound Fire on Thursday (Aug. 23) announced that it has discovered the cause of the recent brush fire in Covington – it was from a ‘bee smoker’ device that landed on dry grass.
According to Wikipedia:
“A bee smoker (usually called simply a smoker) is a device used in beekeeping to calm honey bees. It is designed to generate smoke from the smouldering of various fuels, hence the name.”
Firefighters consider the cause as accidental.
Brush fire update – cause of Covington area fire was smoldering materials from a “bee smoker” that landed on the dry grasses and spread. The fire is considered accidental.
— Puget Sound Fire (@PugetSoundFire) August 23, 2018
As we previously reported, the brush fire erupted on Sunday, Aug. 19, in the 25000 block of 188th Ave. SE.
Firefighters arrived to find the fire advancing towards a home and spreading into thick brush.
At one point the blaze jumped a fire line, and crews had to abandon their stand.
The westbound lanes of SR 18 were closed for a while during the blaze.