American Red Cross is assisting the family.

A family of five has been displaced following a kitchen fire in the 13000 block of SE 279th Place, Kent, Washington.

The fire was first reported at 2:30 pm, and the single occupant who was home was able to escape safely.

Although firefighters were able to limit the fire to just the kitchen, smoke and heat caused extensive damage throughout the two-story home.

The Puget Sound RFA Fire Investigator confirmed that the fire started on the stove top and was due to unattended cooking. The fire is considered accidental.

The American Red Cross is assisting the family of one adult and four children.

[Source: Puget Sound RFA]