Fire was ruled accidental

A Puget Sound Fire Investigator has determined that a fire in a deep fryer at a food processing plant in the 6300 block of S. 190 St. was accidental.

The fire was reported to 911 at 10:50 pm, and resulted in a response from Puget Sound Fire as well as the Tukwila Fire Department and Renton Regional Fire Authority.

Large fans were used to force smoke out of the building.

Firefighters found flames coming from the large machine, reaching up to the ceiling of the two-story building. The automatic sprinkler system had activated and held the fire in check until firefighters were able to fully extinguish it.

All of the company’s 70 employees were able to escape safely. The company had a comprehensive accountability system in place, and it was able to quickly determine that everyone had evacuated the building.

At least a portion of this company will be shut down for an unknown period of time while the cleanup takes place. The damage is estimated at $500,000.

King County Medic One and King County Fire District 20’s rehab unit also responded to this incident.

Contributed by Puget Sound Regional Fire Authority