UPDATE Jan. 30, 2018: On Monday, Jan. 29, a small fire was intentionally set in the women’s restroom on the first floor of Building 22 at Highline College.

As we previously reported, this small fire resulted in the building being evacuated.

“We are relieved to report that no one was hurt during this incident and everyone evacuated the building calmly and quickly,” Highline College Public Safety said. “Our sincere gratitude goes to all the faculty members in Building 22 who reacted swiftly and efficiently.”

Public Safety interviewed several witnesses and have identified a suspect. Director David Menke will continue to work with the King County Sheriff’s Office and the Fire Marshall during this on-going investigation.

The school adds:

The women’s and men’s restroom in Building 22 will be closed until further notice.

In the meantime, please use the restrooms in Building 21 on the north side, first floor of the building.

The Facilities crew has been working to eliminate the residual, lingering smoke smell in the common areas of the building.

If you have issues or concerns about the classroom space or common area, please call the Facilities front desk at extension 3260.

“Once again, thank you to the faculty, Public Safety Officers, and Facilities crew for your efforts during this incident.”

Scott Schaefer

Founder/Publisher/Editor. Three-time National Emmy Award winning Writer (“Bill Nye the Science Guy”), Director, Producer, Journalist and more...