Kent Police Detectives are investigating both an attempted home invasion robbery that occurred on Sunday, Oct. 15, 2023 and a home invasion robbery that occurred on Saturday, Oct. 16.
Both victim families are of Asian descent.
Police said that the attempted robbery on Sunday occurred at about 12:50 a.m. in the 23800 block of 135th Ave SE. The residents had just arrived home and were walking up to their front door when an unknown suspect ran up to their porch. The female victim quickly stepped inside and locked the door before the suspect could gain entry. The suspect brandished a handgun at their window but was not allowed inside. Frustrated, he then tore their Ring camera off the wall.
The residents had just driven home from a Seattle casino. The female victim had noticed a vehicle turn onto their home street directly behind them, then park a short distance away. Moments later the suspect ran onto their porch. Only one suspect was seen during this incident. He was described as a black male in a puffy jacket.
The Ring video from this incident has been widely circulated and is also posted below:
Home Invasion Robbery
The home invasion robbery on Monday occurred in the 12300 block of SE 204th Street. A member of the victim family stepped outside his home to smoke at about 1:30 a.m. He noticed an unusual vehicle parked across the street. When he turned to go back inside, several masked black males ran up behind him and forced their way into the home. He reported they were all carrying rifles or handguns. The suspects stole cash and jewelry and forced the occupants to open their safe.
Patrol Officers and Detectives canvassed both neighborhoods for witnesses and video. Detectives are aggressively working both cases, gathering and analyzing all available evidence.
Police Seeking Public’s Help
If you have any information about either of these crimes, please leave a tip here:
- KPD Tip Line: 253-856-5808
- [email protected]
- Non-emergency dispatch line: 253-852-2121
- Call 911 if you have information about the identity and/or location of the suspect(s).
Home Safety Tips
- If you are driving and think you are being followed, do not go home. Drive to an occupied location and call 911.
- Do not leave your garage door opener in your car.
- Keep your doors locked when you are home.
- Install door locks with three-inch screws in the lock and door hinges.
- Install exterior motion sensor lights.
- Install wide-angle range peephole in your door.
- Consider an audible alarm system-there are a wide range of available options, some of which include interior motion sensors and cameras-post your alarm signage outside.
- Install an exterior camera such as a Ring.
- Take a minute to scan before exiting your car to your home or home to your car. If you see something suspicious wait. See what they do. Call 911 if their actions make you feel unsafe.